Friday 3 June 2011

Brest & St. Malo, France

When we arrived in Brest, we realized that it was some major holiday (something about being 40 days after Easter?) so there wasn't much open. We took a shuttle bus from the ship that drove past a castle and dropped us off in town, where we somewhat unsuccessfully tried to find wifi before heading back to the ship. Due to a shortage of time and the holiday, I didn't get the best impression of Brest.

The next day, we visited St.Malo. This was a tender port so I had to wait a little while to get off the ship. The tender dropped us off right outside the old town. It reminded me q lot of Quebec city -- walled city with cobblestone streets, etc. I even found a place called the Maison du Quebec!! The coolest part was when I went out in the morning, I walked around the top of the wall and took lots of pictures of the ocean because it was beautiful... When I returned to the same spot several hours later, the tide had gone out so much that some of the islands I had seen before were no longer islands!! Someone told me that the tide falls approximately 9meters at low tide! Lots of the sailboats were even beached! I also had a yummy crepe, so overall a good day in St. Malo!!

The picture is high tide -- later the swimming area was in he middle of sand and looked more like a pool!

No comments: