Friday 30 December 2011

Jeju-si





After getting clean and rested at my hotel, I decided to get my bearings. The hotel supplied me with an English map (which has since saved my butt numerous times!) and agreed to keep my big luggage. I got a quick taste of the city, but my main mission of the day was to track down Kate! I made my way to the main bus terminal and a very nice lady who spoke limited English at the information booth told me what bus to take, but it seems as though there isn't one that goes right to 'the Compound', as Kate calls it. After getting that info, I was starving & had been putting off eating Korean food by surviving on my Jewish Bread rations from home. I found a tiny restaurant (pictured above) in the terminal... the whole menu was in Korean, but it seemed like all the 80 year old Korean men in there were eating the same thing, so I just pointed to that! It ended up being soup with noodles which was pretty safe... It had quite a fishy taste, but did the trick!

Then I boarded the bus to find Kate... I ended up missing my stop, but when the bus got to the end of the line, I knew the town we were in wasn't too far from 'the Compound'. I found a cab to drive me, snuck through a side gate & into their residence building! They were pretty surprised & happy to see me when they came back because they had ventured out a few nights before, and despite the fact that they kind of knew where they were going, it had taken them like 3 hrs to get back!!

They had been hoarding food in anticipation of my arrival, so I had a PB& Jam sandwich ans random Korean sweet breads waiting for me. I try to stay in their room (which randomly has 3 beds) while I'm in the compound & sneak out to sightsee during the day! They have told two of the people they work with that I'm here and they refer to me as the little mouse!

That's all for now...

No comments: