Friday 30 December 2011

Seogwipo


Ventured off the Compound toward Seogwipo, which is on the very south side of the island. One of the guys that Kate and Linda work with has lived in Korea for a few years and offered to call me a taxi to the compound, in return for getting him instant coffee and cookies while I was out!

The taxi driver dropped me off in town, and I found another information booth where I inquired about how to take a bus back to the compound (the taxi had been about $19 which seems crazy compared to the cheapness of everything else!) she wrote the name of the bus I needed to take in Korean, as well as the name of the stop I needed to transfer at. Then she suggested that I take a bus to downtown Seogwipo, but since I had been sitting on planes & lying around the compound for days, I figured I could use the walk. It turned out to be about 5k (whoops!) but it was very scenic & nice out... By the end I was just wearing my cardigan.

The city was really nice! It had a main street with good shopping, a pretty harbor (see above) and a cool market. Kate and I have both noticed that it doesn't seem really 'Asian' here... Of course I have nothing to compare it to, but she said when she went to Thailand it was much crazier... I think it's partly because Jeju is an island... It definitely has an island feel, but so many of the areas could be in Canadian cities if signs were in English. Similar shops, transportation, etc.

I also found a World Cup soccer stadium... I travel with the Dobos' for two weeks and suddenly find myself taking pictures of a soccer stadium! (I also got one of a really nice turf pitch at a school...) haha

That's all for now!

Happy New Year!

No comments: